We are seeking a creative and dynamic Head of Culinary Arts Learning who has a strong background in the hotel and restaurant business.
The candidate must have worked as an executive chef for a well-known hotel brand and managed and supervised the development of culinary design, standards and junior chefs.
Reporting to the Manager of Learning and Development, the Head of Culinary Instructor shall have overall responsibility on delivery and standards of culinary training at the Institute.
- Deliver the VET by EHL (Ecole Hotelier Lausanne) training programs in Culinary, Pastry and generic kitchen subjects to students of various levels and backgrounds.
- Deliver any other culinary related programs at the Academy.
- Implement the VET by EHL strategy in the line of activities carried out in the Kitchen.
- Participate in In-Service education and training courses as well as in continuing professional development opportunities, and taking part in action research exercises.
- Maintain good order and discipline amongst students under one’s care and safeguarding their health and safety at all times.
- Establish training sessions and assign production and preparation tasks to be executed.
- Impart ‘Best Practices’ & observe physical inventory of specified food items for daily inventory.
- Impart effective training in determining the minimum and maximum stocks of all food, cooking supplies and equipment.
- Impart knowledge of various cuisine styles and techniques and flavour profiles
- Impart knowledge of beverages and wines.
- Responsible for conducting frequent walkthroughs of kitchen area and direct junior staff to correct any deficiencies.
- Responsible to observe, document and offer re-training for all equipment in a proper operational condition.
- Ensure that recipe cards, production schedules, plating guides, photographs are current and posted, documented and continually bench-marked.
- Train on how to plan and manage food quantities and plating requirements.
- Document food preparation handling and correct storage standards.
- Ensures compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Follows proper handling and right temperature of all food products.
- Impart importance on how to build strong relationships and liaise with all other departments.
- Leading by example in customer service excellence, beyond training duties
- Report maintenance issues to Maintenance.
- Develop students’ passion for the hospitality and the service environment
- Represent the highest standards in deportment, body language, grooming and personal communication.
- Develop course materials and continuously improve them based upon changing trends in the industry and employee contexts
- Document and report on student progress
- Evaluate student performance
- Provide and publish MIS, other reports and insights as per requirement.
- Identifies the developmental needs of junior staff and provide coaching, mentoring to improve their knowledge or skill.
- Perform operational duties whenever required.
- Support on all marketing activities and events.
- Extremely creative and willing to explore new cuisine trends
- Knowledge of current and updated culinary trends.
- Sound good knowledge of food safety, sanitation, food preparation techniques.
- Able to work flexible hours and days.
- Able to teach skills and effectively manage apprentices.
- Certificate through WSET or similar
- At least 8 years experience as an executive chef in a Western Restaurant with a thorough knowledge of French cuisine
- Background as a F&B Manager is a plus
- 2-year or 3 Year degree from an accredited school/university in Culinary Arts, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major, apprenticeship or chef training diploma
Competent in written and spoken English